Even if you’re not a numbers person, you need to understand the math behind your marketing. The good news is that this is not nearly as complex as it seems.
This does NOT mean you need to be a math wiz kid, or a coder, or a master of analytics. But you do need to know the story your data is telling you.
Chris Mercer (known mostly as Mercer) is one of the smartest analytics guys I know. But more than just understanding the technical side of analytics, Mercer knows how to find actionable data. That’s what understanding the math behind your marketing is all about…finding what needs to be fixed or improved to help you grow.
In this episode we discuss:
– Go to Google Analytics with a specific question in mind. This is important. Most people pop open their Google Analytics account and just wander around. You need to go to the data asking a specific question.
– Learn to ask good questions of your data. Often you don’t take the right action, because you aren’t asking the right questions.
– Why averages are worthless, but segmentation is key
– Understand the usefulness behind Mercer’s Mantras “Find the truth in the trend” and “the power is in the pattern”.
– Why properly tagging your traffic may be the most important data cleanup step you take
– How Google Analytics, Data Studio, and Google Tag Manager fit together
– Plus more!
Check out these great resources from Mercer Here :